Friday, April 28, 2006

Bring those Babies over here...

I've been practically overwelming myself with German lessons these days. I found a pretty good course on the Deustche Welle website. It's all really got me thinking about how differently we use English compared to what people probably learn in lessons. We don't think about talking slowly or anything and we say things like: (a quote from my housemate Alisa) "Bring those babies on over here." In reference to Cheez-its, and not, as it would seem, babies. It just leaves me knowing that I have alot to learn and I'm a bit nervous, because no matter how much I study I'll never retain all the knowledge and even if I did, there are still little things to learn. It all seems disconcerting, but it's also a challenge, which is kind of what I signed up for, so you know, it's also pretty dang exciting.

2 Comments:

At 3:32 PM GMT+2, Blogger John Eicher said...

Kieth! (i before e, fool!)

Having googled "intermenno" about a dozen times in the past month, I now find you on page 6 of this inquiry. Hope all is well in your old Kentucky home. ~John

 
At 6:13 PM GMT+2, Blogger Brandi said...

Hi, Keith,

I did Intermenno in 1998/99. My experience, looking back, was great, but at the time ... sheesh. I ended up going home a few months too early, but that had more to do with the ex-boyfriend and the weirdo family I was living with (I don't think they do Intermenno anymore) than with the program itself. Anyway, I felt like a total loser once I was back in Kansas and all of my awesome Intermenno friends were still in Europe. When crappy things went down in Kansas, I felt like I was in the movie, "Clerks" with the line, "I'm not even supposed to be here." Anyway, I wanted to prove to myself that I could stay in Germany for a year, and I did go back a year and a half later, in 2000, after finishing university. And I've been here ever since. And I did managed to learn German, and you will too.

I hope you have a great time; Intermenno's a pretty cool thing and it's really a great chance to get out of the US.

Mach's gut,
Brandi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home