Saturday, September 16, 2006

True Life: I’m A Carnie

The good news is I spent pretty much the whole day in Berlin. The bad news is that I was technically working. We got to sleep in this morning until 7AM, I know, awesome right? Then we headed out in a big blue van with 5 Russian ladies, 1 German driver, A Canadian, and me, a Statesman (United States mind you). That’s right; I’m changing it from American to Statesman, because Canada is part of America, as is Mexico. Plus I’m just feeling honery, forget it if I spelled that wrong. We got to Berlin via the Autohbahn, which has speed limits in most places; well it at least did on the part we rode on. Then we spent the whole day working with the Jugend Mobile. I was sitting there today, thinking, because we couldn’t play soccer like usual (the street was too close). And I realized that my job, as far as the Jugend Mobile is concerned, is a lot like a carnival worker. I go around to different places and try to get people to play the same games. We also have a Unicycle and stilts, which I try to use every time, but I still need to learn. But really we go around to festivals and get in for free and work by playing games. So I’m pretty much a Carnie, a government Carnie, but nonetheless (That’s right, the Jugend Mobile is a government sponsored thing). Last week we were in Dennwitz where there was a big cultural festival with Umpapa Bands and people in traditional garb, it was all really cool. It’s not a bad job really, though it can get boring. Though today during the most boring part this drunk guy came around and did a Napoleon Dynamite kick, which was hilarious. We also got free food, in the form of really hot soup, bochwurst, and free cake. One of our coworkers, Johan, who lives in the same Apartment building is us, was teaching me and Gary a game called Sheep and Wolves, with a checkerboard, (it’s a cool game) when the drunk guy came around and asked: ‘Can I eat that cake’ referring to Johan’s cake, but without really listening to the answer, he said: ‘Good’ and took it and ate it. That was pretty funny to, then we came home and fixed a nice dinner, and that was pretty much my day.

4 Comments:

At 4:33 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to mention SOUTH america... we run into that problem a lot here.

the only problem with the term statesman... is that it's already a word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=statesman&x=0&y=0

see you friday!!

 
At 1:18 AM GMT+2, Blogger Maria said...

Hey Rachel read my mind and already wrote what I was going to say (with the whole South America and not to mention Central america thing)...Edgardo gave us a big lecture in class about the use of the word "America" and "Americans" to mean the United States

And it is "ornery" by the way...looks a lot less like horny that way....

 
At 1:48 AM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Keith, there is another potential problem with statesman. The offical name for Mexico translated into English is actually the United States of Mexico. As we both know it is located in the Americas as well. So if you told somebody you were a statesman from the Americas they might think you mean your are Mexican. So ha...

 
At 3:02 PM GMT+2, Blogger Gary Hallman said...

Dearest Keith,
I can't tell you how much it means to me that you are making an effort to let it me known that there is more than one country in North America. We Canadians are often left out despite the fact that we are in fact the largest country in said America.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home