Friday, August 25, 2006

Home Sweet Lonely Home

I forgot to mention the best part about the town I lived in with my host family. It was called Gräfendorf, which sounds a lot like Gryffindor, which is of course the house of Harry Potter. After a week of quick German learning, based on necessity (I still wouldn’t say I know German, but I’ve come a long way), I finally moved to my more permanent residence, my apartment. It’s really quite nice for a one roomer. It’s got a lot of space which at first made it seem lonely, but I’m getting used to it. Though I sometimes find myself wishing I was back in The Convent in Louisville with my 6 housemates, I balance this though by reminding myself that I am in Germany. I finally got to unpack and wear something other than the 5 sets of clothes I left out of compression bags. I am still in dire need of winter clothing, as I’m reminded with increasing regularity that it gets really cold here in the winter. It was hard at first to be alone in the apartment as I had grown rather attached to my host family, but after a few days and the start of my job things got better. I suppose the most inconvenient thing about my apartment is the lack of an oven. There is one available to use at the church, a pretty good one, but it’s a five minute walk to get there. Also, I need to replace the light bulb in the bathroom, but other than that, it’s a really nice place. The first few days were spent exploring the novelty of the apartments and finding stuff left behind by former Intermennoites, one being a bible from a 1971-72 trainee, though I’m sure it was originally sent elsewhere, it was still neat to find. Other necessities included a sleeping bag, travel pillow, Hertha BSC cap (the Berlin Bundesliga team), and a cool German flag pillow. And though admittedly I was a bit lonely, it was good to be home.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM GMT+2, Blogger Maria said...

i think you should make yourself sick over me as well, disregard alisa's comment!

 
At 7:14 PM GMT+2, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith, I think what you need to put in all your extra space is packages of powdered cheese and you also should buy an Organic Chemistry book written in German and see if it makes any more sense than in English. If not, it would also be good for taking up space.
-Jared

 

Post a Comment

<< Home