Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hodge Podge

It was a strange week for me this week. For starters I have been sleeping somewhat badly, which made for a quiet tired work week and a pretty lazy weekend. Though I woke up and felt awake around 7AM both weekend days, I laid around until 9 just because I could. Most days this is not an option for me, so I decided to capitalize on the opportunity to be lazy. Though I suppose sleeping until 9AM is hardly considered lazy in the States. Not on a weekend, but these days, to me here in Germany, sleeping till 9AM just doesn’t make any sense.
Other changes in my personality is my use and atcual addiction to using a daily planner. People that know me know that despite my many attempts to get organized, a daily planner is something that I would normally forget about in about 3 hours. But these days I find myself glancing over at my planner longingly, wishing I had one more thing to write down in it, and often double checking what I already have written down. I’ve also become more honest about telling people when they are wrong. The other day I asked the 2nd Graders a question, and alot of people tried to answer it, but were wrong and I just said, You’re wrong, without even feeling a slight twinge of guilt. They were wrong, after all.
The weather this week has been comparatively bright. I think there was only 4 days of cloudy skies instead of the usual 6 or 7. This made for a few short bike rides, even though some days it was quite cold and windy. I am excited for warmer weather, which will bring renewed bike riding and walking opportunities. The sun has also started to come up earlier and go down later, which brings a bit of cheer back into my life.
As for school this week, Monday was Fasching, the offcial Fasching this time and not just one of the many pre-Fasching celebrations that started with February. This meant no classes, as most other Bundesstaaten got the day off of school. We still went, but we threw a party. For lessons I taught Costumes, which was a big hit with the kids. I attempted to play Bingo with them, but mostly it did not work because I didn’t know all the words to explain it. But the kids didn’t seem to mind. I told them what the costumes they wore were in English, and though they won’t remember, they at least thought it was fun.
A good story from my work as an English assistant: I was with the Sixth class, which is a difficult age for kids to be in any language, and we were learning comparisons. One thing I like about the English lessons here is that at the end of a unit, the teachers ask the kids what they though of the unit, and the kids can say things like ‚It was boring,’ or ‚It was dumb’ and no one feels insulted. That is besides the point, but I like it. I was just helping the kids pronounce ‚Than’ and ‚Then’ when I heard one of the kids mocking me in German. I gave him a talking to in German about how I can hear him and that sort of thing. I was in the middle of this when the kids started chiming in with things like ‚Keith is better than you’ ‚You are lower than Keith.’ Though I felt somewhat bad for the guy, I couldn’t help but feel loved, which is something you don’t often feel from sixth graders.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 AM GMT+1, Blogger Maria said...

yeah, sleeping in until 9 a.m. on a weekend is definitely not relaxing or being lazy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home