Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Jetzt du bist alleine

On Monday, a few teachers were not a school, and to compensate there were extra English lessons. For me this meant that for the first time I would be completely alone in the classroom. I was kind of like the substitute teacher, except my German isn’t all that great yet, so the kids could take more advantage than usual. Unfortunately for them I was raised in American schools, which have considerably less tolerance for noise than the school I teach at does. Or perhaps that was unfortunate for me. Who knows. I feel like it went pretty well. I taught one fourth grade class (Vierte Classe) and one fifth grade (Funfte Classe). The fourth grade class was really fun because we listened to this song called ‘The Hobby Song’ and I made them stand up and do some motions for it, which I hope helps them remember hobbies. The fifth grade class was pretty loud and had a lot of questions, partly because the work they had to do didn’t make a lot of sense, even to me. I had hoped they would understand because maybe their text book explained it, but I was wrong. So, with a touch of improvisation, I just had them make up some sentences and read them out loud. The teachers all seemed a bit nervous for me, but I tried to assure them that things went smoothly. I like the teachers I work with, though I am still too nervous to have conversations with them, I hope that that will come with time. They are all very nice and seem to be interested in how I am doing and how things are going. So it is nice to have them helping me, even if sometimes they speak a little too fast for me to understand everything. The first grade teacher later asked me where I was in the Dritte Stunde, (third period) and I explained how I was by myself in the classroom with the 4th grade. She understood, but I had missed out on my usual Sport Stunde with the 1st graders. That’s right, three times a week I go with the first grade and play games during their PE time. I’m not sure if that is a normal thing or if it is because I mentioned how I helped teach PE last year to 1st and 2nd grade, but either way it’s fun to have a little reminder of the great kids I got to teach last year. All in all my first experience by myself in the classroom was okay, but I’m not sure if I’d be cut out to do it full time, but maybe everyone is nervous at first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home