Monday, November 13, 2006

A Case of The Mondays?
So today I was all alone with the Third grade. I wish I could say it went well, or that it was easy, but it wasn’t. Not because of my limited German vocabuarly, I found I had enough words to get my point across, but because the kids just don’t feel the need to listen to me. Not unless I yell, which I had to do several times. But yelling in German isn’t the same really, it’s not so much about volume, but more about speed. You really have to know what you’re about to say, and you have to say it fast. Of course this was the class where one of the girls glued hair from her head to her chin, so what did I expect. Now one oddity about it all was the fact that none of the kids had paper. I asked them to get a sheet of paper, and they all gave the same excuse: We left our English folder at home. I don’t know if they just had some stigma about using paper from another folder during English class, or what, but I ended up haveing to pretty much order some kids to share a peice of paper, and passing out a few sheets. It was crazy. On the other hand my one real English lesson of the day went really well. It was with one of my favorite classes, the 2nd Grade B, they are pretty excited about English, and enjoy singing. Today we did parts of the body and sang Head Shoulders, Knees and Toes, which based on their guesses as to what feet and legs were they had sung before. I’m not sure if it is supposed to go to the tune of London Bridge is Falling Down, but it did in this case. Days like this I feel good about my German skills, but bad about my child management skills. But German schools are different, and the kids want to be my friends and not particularly my students. So that adds to the difficulty.
In other, more unfortunate news, I believe I am getting sick. Or rather I fear that I am. My throat is a bit sore as I write this, and I feel tired and a bit sore, especially my head. The sore throat may be from talking loudly at the kids, but I am not sure.
That just goes to show you....

1 Comments:

At 6:34 PM GMT+1, Blogger Maria said...

child management is no easy task...

two boys tried to set the building on fire on Sunday afternoon! how exciting! Luckily an adult caught it before it got out of hand (just lots of black smoke marks on the third floor stairwell)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home