Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sankt Martin's Tag

So I realize I should be writing about my vacation, but I’ll have to get to that later. It was alot of fun though, and I met some new people. But anyway, it’s St. Martin’s day in Germany which is really a good excuse to carry around lanterns and sing a song about it. It goes like this: Laterne, Laterne, Sun und Mond und Sterne. Which means: Lantern, lantern, son and moon and stars. Yeah, doesn’t rhyme in English. St. Martin was apparently this soldier who gave his coat to a homeless man, who turned out (so the story goes) to be Jesus. Though I wager it’s meant a bit more figuratively. The way Gary and I celebrated was with the curch and the kids. The church got the kids together and we made lanterns, (mine is the most awesome lantern ever made...) then we lit the candles and went on a parade singing the lantern song. Well, attempting to sing it. I don’t know the whole thing. It was pretty fun, and the kids are getting used to me, and I am getting used to having to only talk to them in German, or at least mostly in German.

This morning we also did our Saturday Bible School type thing. I got to drive the big van, which is a diesel and a stickshift. Not too hard, but a little nervewracking at first. But really it was a fun day, good old Saint Martin could teach us alot, I mean it’s hard to give up your jacket when it is cold outside.

3 Comments:

At 5:35 PM GMT+1, Blogger Gary Hallman said...

Dear Keith,
so today we found red magic mushrooms. Turns out they'll kill you. Good thing we didn't eat them.

Peace in the Middle East,
Gary

 
At 9:03 PM GMT+1, Blogger Maria said...

I want to hear about Paris!

 
At 10:43 PM GMT+1, Blogger Maria said...

oh my goodness, I am procrastinating right now and happened to find the video Rachel put on her blog of you dancing with your shirt off...what has Germany done to you Keith?? ha ha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home